Pillows & Blankets

I'm a social geography student from Paris, and a contributor for a new blog dedicated to pop culture & intersectional feminism called Critical Writ. I'm particularly interested in lesbian fiction of every genre.

I have a preference for romance & Fantasy/sci-fi, and will pay a lot of attention to gender roles, healthy/unhealthy relationships and consent in stories I read.

Goodreads Account

Black Blade Blues

Black Blade Blues - J.A. Pitts I was given this book as a good lesbian protag book and obviously, as both a woman and a lesbian, I was very interested in it. Now, I want to say first that it isn't that at all. It is a book written by an obviously heterosexual man who mistakenly conflates "strong female hero" with "woman written as a macho man". The first half was good, despite the main character being an appalling cliché of a butch lesbian, and the second half exploded into casual misogyny as the story crashed.

I wanted to review everything that's terrible in this book, but I don't want to spoil it too much— rather, I would like to provide a warning to those who would read it, especially women, lesbians, and I guess, considering the casual misogyny and whorephobia of the book, sex workers.

What you will find in this book : a somewhat believable depiction of someone struggling with internalized lesbophobia. That's the only thing that got this book one star, to be honest (I suspect someone told the writer their story, here). What you will also find : casually sexist one liners such as "fight like a man!" or "you're getting beaten by a girl!", disgusting victim blaming, systemic raping and damseling of main characters as a driving force for the hero, randomly hypersexualized characters that seem to come from someone's sexual fantasies, overused clichés, a very creepy attention to details when it comes to women getting murdered, slut shaming, machism, and tropes like "butch lesbians and hetero men being partners in misogyny"

To be honest, I'm even surprised this was published. Its treatment of women is akin to erotic adventure fiction, only with a woman in lieu of the macho dude. In fact, the second half of this book is your run of the mill macho sexist fantasy book, only with a woman. But it's ok to be misogynistic right? I mean, she's a woman who digs chicks! She gets it yknow!