Pillows & Blankets

I'm a social geography student from Paris, and a contributor for a new blog dedicated to pop culture & intersectional feminism called Critical Writ. I'm particularly interested in lesbian fiction of every genre.

I have a preference for romance & Fantasy/sci-fi, and will pay a lot of attention to gender roles, healthy/unhealthy relationships and consent in stories I read.

Goodreads Account

Just Physical

Just Physical - Jae Well, this might just be one of my top favorite of Jae's books. It has all her other books have : great characters, good pacing, awwww moments and silly (the good silly) scenes, a great addition to the series after Damage Control which I had trouble getting into, mainly because the show-business world really doesn't interest me at all. The particular strength of this installment to the series is Jill's gut-wrenching, tear-jerking fight with self acceptance of her disease and the absolute lack of self esteem it brought her. Her struggles hit a bit close to home for me, and I had tears in my eyes and thoughts in my mind while I read it. Jill is probably one of my favorite characters and it's very clear here, perhaps even more than in Conflict of Interest, that Jae knows her stuff when it comes to writing convincing multi dimensional characters with their own issues and desires.

Crash is also a great character, although I wish Jae had expanded a bit more on her fear of fire stunts. I felt the book would have been even better if it expanded a bit more on her own struggles. She'd have made an extremely convincing PTSD survivor— Still, the book is great as it is, and a must read.
Now I just wish Jae's protagonists weren't so white :D